Softcup is not linked to TSS
Toxic Shock Syndrome
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a rare and potentially life-threatening bacterial infection. TSS most often occurs in menstruating women, but can also affect men, children and post-menopausal women and can sometimes result from skin wounds or surgery. TSS is believed to be caused by Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria. This type of bacteria occurs naturally in our bodies, but some strains produce a toxin that can cause serious symptoms. Recent studies suggest that TSS is related to tampon absorbency; the more absorbent the tampon, the greater risk of contracting TSS.
Toxic Shock Syndrome symptoms occur suddenly and may include:
- High fever
- Muscle aches
- Redness of the eyes, mouth and throat
What to do:
Call your doctor immediately if you have signs or symptoms of TSS, especially if you’re on your period or just finished your period and have been using tampons. Describe your symptoms and tell your doctor how long you’ve had them.
How can I avoid TSS?
If you use tampons, always use the lowest absorbency tampon that you need and only use the tampon for the amount of time suggested in the instructions. You may be interested in trying a tampon alternative, the Instead Softcup. In more than 10 years and 100 million Softcups sold, the Softcup has never been linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome. Unlike tampons, Softcup is non-absorbent, and does not encourage the growth of TSS-causing bacteria in the body. Softcup is a clinically proven, safe tampon alternative that you can wear for up to 12 hours.
What else should I know about Softcup?
- Can be worn during any physical activity such as swimming, running, biking, yoga, or gymnastics
- Allows you to have mess-free sex on your period
- Can’t be felt when you’re wearing it
- Prevents odor – menstrual fluid is not exposed to the air
- Is hypoallergenic, non-toxic, non-irritating and biocompatible
- Is free of latex, dyes, fibers, pesticides, bleach, dioxins, polyvinylchloride (PVC), polycarbonates (PCB’s), bisphenol-a, phthalates
Like us on Facebook
Get our Newsletter
Softcup's monthly newsletter is an easy way to stay informed about news, events, promos, and all things Softcup!