Time to let your inner entertaining goddess out! Impress your guests with this crafty, and delicious, take on a summer cooler for all your favorite summertime beverages.
1 medium-large watermelon (seeded or seedless)
Green dry erase marker or 1" thick painter's trim tape
Channel knife (or vegetable peeler)
Large bowl and spoon or scoop
Spigot (from beer making supply company)
Twine and straight pins
Your favorite refreshment
1. Wash the watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
2. On a cutting board, place the watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4"-1/2" from both ends, being careful not to cut too deep into the white part of the rind. One side will provide a sturdy base.
3. Use dry erase marker or painter's tape to make a thick band on the upper 1/3 and lower 1/3 of the watermelon that will represent the metal bands around a barrel or keg and use the channel knife to trim away a thin line to represent those metal bands.
4. Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving the watermelon pieces to make your favorite punch or juice. Be sure to leave about 2" of watermelon flesh towards the bottom of the watermelon so the spigot can be placed.
5. Use an apple corer to cut a circle for your spigot to fit through the watermelon rind, placing it about 2-3" above the bottom of the watermelon. Screw your spigot into place.
6. For added detail, carefully pin twine in your lines you've made to represent the metal bands around the barrel/keg. Be careful that the pins do not poke through into the barrel/keg.
7. Place the barrel/keg on a saucer or plate and fill with your favorite chilled punch or juice recipe.
Directions found at Watermelon.org.