Memorial Day BBQ Menu:
Tequila-glazed chicken thighs
Pasta salad with garbanzo beans, tomatoes and feta cheese
Apple and blackberry crumble
Tequila-glazed chicken thighs:
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 lbs.), skinned
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. water
- 2 tsp. grated lime rind
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- cooking spray
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat using both burners. After preheating, turn the left burner off (leave the right burner on).
2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl and rub evenly over chicken.
3. Bring the pineapple juice, tequila, and honey to a boil in a small saucepan; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Combine cornstarch and 2 tsp. water in a small bowl, and stir well. Add cornstarch mixture to juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in lime rind, 3 tbsp. lime juice and red pepper.
4. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray over right burner (direct heat). Cover and grill for 5 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with juice mixture. Move the chicken to grill rack over left burner (indirect heat). Cover and grill an additional 5 minutes on each side or until done, basting occasionally.
Pasta salad with garbanzo beans, tomatoes and feta cheese:
- 3/4 lb. fusilli pasta (try a whole wheat version)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes (I also substitute plum tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes without the oil)
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- 1 cup kalmata olives, halved
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool. Drain again.
2. Combine 1/4 cup mint, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and lemon peel in large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add pasta, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, feta and olives. Toss to blend well. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
* Can be prepared ahead. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, or cover and refrigerate overnight, then let stand at room temperature *
Apple and blackberry crumble:
- 6 cups sliced, peeled Rome apples (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook 10 minutes over medium heat or until apples are soft. Place apple mixture in an 8-inch pie plate. Sprinkle blackberries over apple mixture.
3. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add granulated sugar; toss well. Sprinkle flour mixture over fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
4. Preheat broiler and broil crumble for 1 minute, or until lightly browned.
- Light beer (Corona light is perfect!)
- Lemonade or sprite
1. Fill glass 3/4 of the way with beer.
2. Add in lemonade or sprite.
3. Garnish with a lime wedge.
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY ALL!!!! Have a safe and fun holiday weekend :)